The U.S. Embassy in Islamabad is seeking eligible and qualified individuals for five positions of Trades Helper in the Facility Management Office.
Trades Helper (FSN-3, FP-BB*) Position NO: I-51027-30, I-52838 (Five Positions)
Basic Function of Position:
The incumbent assists the Supervising Building Engineer, assigned technicians, and mechanics in the performance of skilled trade maintenance and repair work throughout the New Embassy Compound (NEC) buildings, grounds and residential owned/leased properties. Tasks may include painting, carpentry, and minor grounds work. Performs other related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
1. Education: Completion of ten years of education is required.
2. Experience: Two years of maintenance or construction semi-skilled work experience in skilled trades with significant focus on building systems is required.
3. Language: Level II (Limited Knowledge) Speaking/Reading/Writing of English and Level III (Good Working Knowledge) Speaking/Reading/Writing of Urdu are required. Language skills will be tested.
4. Knowledge: The incumbent shall possess job knowledge of basic math and the ability to use measurement tools needed to lay out and cut shaped, threaded, and joined materials. General knowledge of tools, trades, and maintenance techniques is required. Incumbent must have a basic knowledge of local building codes.
5. Abilities & Skills: The incumbent must be able to use all tools of the trade including ladders, to keep work sites clean and neat, and to use good safety practice and follow all safety requirements in execution of tasks and be able to use all appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE). Incumbent must have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and be able to handle a large workload and multiple tasks. Ability to communicate orally and in writing with coworkers, contractors and vendors to obtain and provide pertinent information is required. Additional abilities include responding to emergency situations in an efficient and timely manner to effect immediate repairs; work in various adverse conditions such as tight or enclosed spaces, heights, and temperature extremes, indoors or outdoors to complete work assignments is required. Must possess a valid Pakistani driver’s license for Motor Car/Jeep.
Note: All applicants must address each required qualification listed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
When qualified, applicants who are U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and/or preference-eligible U.S. Veterans are given a preference in hiring. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants make themselves known as having a hiring preference and specifically address the required qualifications above in their application.
Additional Selection Criteria:
1. Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
2. Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
3. Current employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
4. Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
5. Current employees who have voluntarily been reassigned/promoted from one position to another are not eligible to apply for six months from the effective date of the reassignment/promotion.
6. Current employees who have received any job-related training are not eligible to apply in another section/agency for six months from the effective date of the training.
7. U.S. Mission Pakistan will not bear any travel expenses for testing, interviews, pre-employment clearances (if selected) or relocation for joining.
To Apply: Interested candidates for this position must submit their completed DS-174 (Application for Employment as LE Staff or Family Member) by Email at: [email protected]. The Vacancy Announcement Number (e.g. 15-188) must be mentioned in the subject line of the email.
Applications can also be submitted at following GPO address. Applicants should clearly mark the position title and/or vacancy announcement number on the envelope.
Submit Completed DS-174 to: Human Resources Office, U.S. Embassy Islamabad P.O. Box 1048, GPO, Islamabad.
Applicants claiming a U.S. Veteran’s preference must submit written documentation confirming eligibility (e.g., Member Copy 4 of Form DD-214, Letter from the Veteran’s Administration, or certification documenting eligibility under the VOW Act with an expected discharge no later than 120 days after the certification is submitted) by the closing date of the vacancy announcement. If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veteran’s preference will not be considered in the application process. Specific criteria for receiving a U.S. Veteran’s preference may be found in HR/OE’s Family Member Employment Policy (FMEP).
Incomplete DS-174 (Application for Employment as LE Staff or Family Member) or submissions received after the closing date will not be considered. Please do not attach any documents at this stage; you will be informed when your documents are required. Only those candidates meeting all the requirements will be contacted for a test/interview. To review all advertised positions, please visit Embassy website: http://islamabad.usembassy.gov/employment_opportunities.html.
Closing date for this position: January 13, 2016.
The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs.
The EEO complaint procedure is not available to individuals who believe they have been denied equal opportunity based upon marital status or political affiliation. Individuals with such complaints should avail themselves of the appropriate grievance procedures, remedies for prohibited personnel practices, and/or courts for relief.